Date/Time: 4/18/2014 - 7:15 PM Follow us on Twitter Quick Links:

Noise Abatement
Blue Bar

What is a Part 150 Study and what is its purpose?

A Part 150 study provides a means for airports to accomplish noise reduction goals and develop a comprehensive set of noise abatement actions and mitigation measures that will work effectively together. Part 150 is a federal program appropriating aviation-generated funds for the purpose of aircraft noise mitigation measures in communities surrounding an airport including sound insulation.

How were the program boundaries determined?

The program boundaries were determined by the Part 150 study that was completed in August 2004. The study researched future noise impacts around the airport and created projected noise contours in a 2008 Noise Exposure Map (NEM). This map is the basis of the RSIP program boundaries. All residential structures within the map’s 65 DNL contour, plus a one hundred foot buffer, are eligible for sound insulation subject to a number of specific qualifying factors.

How is eligibility and priority determined?

In addition to the requirement for a home to be within the Part 150 Noise Exposure Map's 65 DNL contour, plus a one hundred foot buffer, the other qualifying factors are:

  • The Home must be a legally permitted residential structure constructed before October 1, 1998.
  • The home's owners must sign an Avigation Easement and a Homeowner Agreement to participate in the program.

It should also be noted that single family residences will be treated before condominiums and apartments.  To find out if you are eligible, try our Find My Home tool.

What is an avigation easement?

The easement is a legal document that stipulates that the homeowner agrees to recognize the perpetual right of aircraft to fly over their home in return for the sound insulation program improvements. The easement is permanently attached to the property deed once it is recorded by the local county Register of Deeds. The avigation easement must be signed prior to the commencement of any work in the home.

What is a Homeowner Agreement?

The Homeowner Agreement is a legal, binding agreement between the homeowner and the Airport that allows sound insulation treatments to be installed. It describes the treatments that will be done and the obligations of both parties to insure that the work will be done in efficient and professional manner. The Homeowner Agreement must be signed prior to commencement of any work in the home. Failure to complete the above mentioned agreements within the required deadline might result in the homeowner's removal from the program.

How is the Sound Insulation Program funded and are there any costs to me?

It is anticipated that eighty percent (80%) of project funding will come from the FAA with the remaining twenty percent (20%) from other sources. There may be some costs that must be borne by the homeowner, in cases of special conditions involving non-conforming code conditions, structural conditions or existing building conditions that will affect the proper installation of sound insulation improvements. There may be additional costs such as the replacing window dressings (blinds, draperies, etc.), reinstalling security system devices, or finish painting for any new wood trim that may be installed.

When will my house be sound insulated?

The program will sound insulate homes based upon which homes are “most impacted” by noise. This means that homes closest to the airport and to the centerline of the runways will be treated before homes that are further away. In an effort to proportionately distribute our Sound Insulation efforts to each affected town, a percentage of the homes within each phase will be allocated among the 4 towns.

Are there different styles of sound insulation products to choose from?

Decisions regarding types and styles will be made as part of the Pilot phase activities. It is highly likely that the products and styles offered in the Bradley program would be similar to those used in other sound insulation programs. These are chosen for their acoustic effectiveness and their compatibility with residential architecture.

How are the contractors selected?

The work will be publicly bid and awarded to the lowest acceptable bidder.

Am I protected against liability during construction?

The contract documents will require that the contractors be licensed and bonded and will contract directly with the Airport.

Is the work guaranteed?

Yes, the contractor guarantees the work for one year, which is consistent with industry practice, and there are extended product warrantees for up to ten additional years.

Are permits required in order to insulate my home?

Yes, the contractor performing the sound insulation construction must acquire permits and is responsible for the cost of those permits. Discussions have taken place with building officials from each town to ensure that plan reviews and permits can be issued in a way that is manageable for all parties.

Will my property taxes increase as a result of the acoustical treatments?

The Program is currently pursuing an answer to this question. In nearly all other jurisdictions, improvements that are made to the home for sound insulation are considered exempt.

How do I use the interactive map to locate my home?

The Find My Home Tool is built using familiar web technology that works just like Google maps, Yahoo Maps or MapQuest. If you have used one of these tools before, the find my home tool should be familiar. Just enter your home's address and click the Search button.  If an address is found, it will be indicated on the map with a pushpin. If the address is not in our database the tool will let you know and give you the option of using a public address locator so you can see an approximation of where your house is in relation to the noise contours.

My Home is NOT eligible, what improvements can I make at my own expense?

There are several resources available to you on this site; take a look at our section in “How Noise Travels” to learn more about how noise enters a home. You can also review the “Typical Improvements” section, which can give you ideas as well as contact information for the typical product manufacturers. The Manufacturers can help you find contractors who are experienced with their products.

Who decides what work will be done in my home?

Acoustical treatments are determined by the Program consultant team, which evaluates the needs of each home on a house-by-house basis. These treatments will be reviewed with Airport staff to ensure their consistency with FAA reimbursement guidelines. Proposed treatments will then be reviewed with each homeowner before bid documents are prepared for construction.

What if I want to make other repairs?

Improvements outside of the scope agreed upon through the sound insulation program are not covered and may not occur from the time construction begins in your home until it is officially completed.

How long will the work take?

Once construction begins, most homes are substantially completed within 10 days. The Program may elect to install mechanical systems on a separate schedule from the doors and windows. Substantial completion is achieved when all products required under the base contract are installed, but does not include “Punch List” time (construction review and follow-up modifications). From start to finish, it generally requires six weeks to completely finish all the work.

Are there any costs to me?

The FAA and the Bureau of Aviation and Ports pay for the basic costs for labor and materials to install sound insulation treatments. The only costs to the homeowner would be to adjust or replace window dressings (blinds, draperies, etc.); reinstall security system devices; or prepare the home for installation of the treatments (if needed).

Who does the construction work?

The work is bid under Connecticut State bidding law to general contractors who are required to be insured, licensed and bonded. Contractors who are eligible to bid must meet qualification criteria, and the contractor with the lowest acceptable bid is awarded the job.

I recently installed new windows and doors. Will I be reimbursed for these improvements?

Improvements completed by the homeowner prior to participating in the sound insulation program are not eligible for reimbursement.

My new windows fog up and my old ones did not. Are the new windows defective?

No. The new windows are tighter-fitting, insulated windows that provide a weather-tight, energy-efficient seal. Sealing your home makes it more comfortable and quiet, but also keeps normal household moisture in. Any condensation (“fog”) on the windows is a result of the windows’ effectiveness at restricting the escape of moisture and heat from your home.

Will air conditioning be provided?

An air conditioning system may be installed with the sound insulation package if your home does not already have one. Existing forced air systems may be modified to accommodate air-cooling, or a separate cooling system may be installed.

Parking Information New England Air Museum
Learn More Visit NWA Visit