State of Connecticut Department of Transportation - Bureau of Aviation and Ports
General Statutes for Aircraft Registration
Part IV - Aeronautics
- Registration of aircraft.(a) The Commissioner of Transportation shall establish a program of registration for all aircraft in the state, in accordance with which the owner of any aircraft, as defined in subdivision (5) of section 15-34, which is based or primarily used at any airport facility, heliport, air navigation facility, restricted landing area or seaplane base in a municipality within this state shall, not later than October 1, 1993, and annually thereafter, be required to register with the municipality in which such aircraft is based or primarily used, by filing an application form, or renewal thereof, and paying the appropriate registration fee, as provided for in section 12-71, this section and section 13b-39b. The owner of any aircraft which is based or primarily used at any such air navigation facility or restricted landing area in this state shall register such aircraft not later than July 1, 1994, and annually thereafter not later than the first of October. Any aircraft shall be deemed to be based or primarily used in a municipality when in the normal course of its use, it leaves from and returns to or remains at one or more points within the municipality more often or longer than at any other single location outside of the municipality.
(b) The Commissioner of Transportation, subject to the provisions of chapter 54, shall adopt such regulations as deemed necessary by said commissioner to implement the provisions of section 12-71, this section and sections 13b-39b to 13b-39h, inclusive.
- Aircraft registration forms and decals. The Department of Transportation shall prepare and distribute to each municipality in which aircraft are based or primarily used forms and decals for the registration of aircraft and the renewal of such registrations. The registration forms shall contain such information as the Commissioner of Transportation may prescribe, including, but not limited to, information concerning (1) the form and identity of ownership, including information as to whether such ownership is by an individual, partnership, corporation or other entity, (2) the type of aircraft, including the year of manufacture, the manufacturer, the model and the certified gross weight, (3) the Federal Aviation Certificate number and (4) the location at which such aircraft is based or primarily used in this state. Each municipality shall designate a municipal registration official who may be an official or employee of the municipality or of any airport facility, heliport or seaplane base located within the municipality, to perform the duties of registration of aircraft as set forth in sections 13b-39a to 13b-39h, inclusive, and shall furnish, in writing, the name, address and telephone number of each such official. The municipality shall immediately notify the commissioner upon any changes relative to the municipal registration official.
- Display of registration decal. Certificate of registration. Upon receipt of the signed and certified registration form required and the requisite fee, as provided for in section 13b-39d, the municipal registration official shall assign a registration number and provide the owner with a registration decal and certificate of registration. Such registration decal shall be displayed on the right side of the aircraft tail below the horizontal stabilizer. The number shall be maintained in a legible condition and shall be clearly visible and entirely unobscured. The certificate shall state the name of the owner, his address, a description of the aircraft, the expiration date of the certificate and such other information as the commissioner may prescribe by regulation. Such certificate shall be carried aboard the aircraft and shall be available for inspection upon the aircraft for which it is issued whenever the owner or any person authorized by him is aboard such aircraft.
- Registration fee. The owner shall pay a fee to the municipal registration official for each aircraft so numbered or registered in accordance with the following schedule:
Gross Weight (lbs.) Fee
Less than 3,000 $ 90.00
3,001 _ 4,500 $ 250.00
4,501 _ 8,000 $ 700.00
8,001 _ 12,500 $ 1,500.00
12,501 and over $ 2,500.00
Aircraft manufactured before 1946 shall pay the lesser of one hundred dollars or the fee as required on the basis of gross weight as set forth in this section. The commissioner may establish, by regulations adopted in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54, a uniform schedule for the expiration and renewal of registrations and may prorate the fees in this section accordingly. Any person or firm that acquires ownership of an aircraft shall be required to obtain a new registration in the name of such owner within thirty days of the date of such acquisition, provided no additional registration fee shall be payable in cases where one or more new ownership interests are being added to the registration or in cases of legal change of name of the registrant. All registrations must be renewed within thirty days of the date of expiration as stated in the certificate. If a valid certificate or number decal is lost, mutilated or destroyed, the aircraft owner shall notify the municipal registration official within fifteen days, and such owner shall be issued a duplicate certificate or number decal upon payment of a fee of five dollars.
Exemption for military aircraft, government aircraft or aircraft dealers. The provisions of sections 13b-39a to 13b-39d, inclusive, shall not apply to military aircraft or government aircraft owned and operated by the United States or any state or local government therein, to any aircraft registered in a foreign country that has a reciprocal agreement with the United States government or to aircraft engaged in Federal Aviation Regulations Part 121 and Part 135 certificated operations or to aircraft owned by dealers for the sole purpose of sale or exchange. For the purpose of this section "dealer" includes any person actively engaged in buying, selling or exchanging aircraft who has an established place of business in this state and who may, incidental to such business, repair aircraft or cause them to be repaired.
- Penalty for failure to register. Any person who operates or any owner who permits the operation of an aircraft, which has not been numbered or registered in accordance with the provisions of sections 13b-39a to 13b-39e, inclusive, and any other applicable section of the general statutes, shall have committed a violation and shall be fined two hundred dollars for the first offense and five hundred dollars for each subsequent offense. Any officer empowered to enforce the provisions of section 13b-39a and any other applicable section of the general statutes who finds an aircraft which is not numbered or registered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter and such discovery is subsequent to a violation of this chapter may make application to the court for a warrant to seize such aircraft and take it into custody pending proof of payment of proper numbering or registration fees. No officer shall be liable for any act performed under the provisions of this section.
- Municipality may retain fees. Each municipality which issues and renews registrations for aircraft in accordance with sections 13b-39a to 13b-39h, inclusive, may retain for its own use and purposes, as a grant in lieu of property taxes, all revenue received from the receipt of aircraft registration fees. Each such participating municipality shall furnish the commissioner with such reports concerning the total amount of fees received pursuant to sections 12-71 and 13b-39a to 13b-39h, inclusive, the number of registrations issued, the names of registrants and the descriptions of aircraft registered.
Grants to municipalities. Payments shall be made from the Special Transportation Fund by the Department of Transportation to municipalities based on aircraft registered in such municipalities as of the October 1, 1992, grand list in a percentage of the total tax that the municipality would have collected in personal property tax pursuant to section 12-71, assuming such aircraft were subject to assessment (1) on April 1, 1994, a payment in an amount of one hundred per cent of such total amount less such registration fee; (2) on April 1, 1995, a payment in an amount of one hundred per cent of such total amount less such registration fee; (3) on April 1, 1996, a payment in an amount of ninety per cent of such total amount; (4) on April 1, 1997, a payment in an amount of seventy per cent of such total amount; (5) on April 1, 1998, a payment in an amount of fifty per cent of such total amount; (6) on April 1, 1999, a payment in an amount of thirty per cent of such total amount; and (7) on April 1, 2000, a payment in an amount of ten per cent of such total amount. In no event shall the total of the registration fees and the payments from the department pursuant to this section exceed one hundred per cent of the total tax the municipality would have collected in personal property tax pursuant to said section 12-71 assuming such aircraft was subject to assessment.
Responsibility of the designated Municipal Registration Official
1. Ensure that all aircraft owners register with town/city where the aircraft is based or primarily used.
2. Supply aircraft owners with a State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation, Aircraft Registration Application.
3. Upon proper completion of application and payment, issue a registration decal.
4. Serve as the contact person for aircraft owners that have questions or issues.
5. Complete Form C – Annual Aircraft Registration Record – Interim Report on a yearly basis. Completed forms are to be returned to the State of Connecticut Aircraft Registration Coordinator no later than January 15th of each year.
6. Complete Form D – Annual Aircraft Registration Record – Final Report on a yearly basis. Completed forms are to be returned to the State of Connecticut Aircraft Registration Coordinator no later than October 31st of each year.
7. Return any unused registration decals to the State of Connecticut Aircraft Registration Coordinator with the completed Form D no later than October 31st.
8. Assist the State of Connecticut Aircraft Registration Coordinator with any questions or issues.
All required aircraft registration forms to be supplied by the State of Connecticut, upon request (860-594-2548).
Responsibilities of Aircraft Owners
1. Register any aircraft, as defined by Connecticut General Statute Section 15-34, subdivision 5 with the municipality where the aircraft is primarily based or used.
2. Complete a State of Connecticut Department of Transportation Aircraft Registration Application.
3. Pay registration fee to the Municipal Registration official. Once the registration fee has been paid, a registration decal will be issued (one decal per aircraft).
4. Contact your Municipal Registration Official with any questions or issues.
*Registration must be completed on a yearly basis by September 30th.